Hey loves, and welcome to the final installment of my Deployment Eats series! If you’d like to discover more meal subscription options, check out the other posts in the series.
Green Chef is a newer meal subscription box that popped up on my radar while searching for healthy, diet-specific meal delivery services and I’m so excited to share my review with all of you.
Green Chef Basics
- Green Chef has a variety of plans that are well-suited to many diets and lifestyle. Omnivore, Carnivore, Paleo, Vegan, Keto, and Gluten-Free (certified by the GFFS unlike other services) options are just a few of the diet plans available. Your weekly meals do depend on which diet you choose so there isn’t as much mixing and matching available but you do have the ability to change your plan as needed.
- The average cost of a 2-Person Box with 3 meals for 2 people (6 servings) is $11-$14 per meal. For example, my Keto box was $90–a little more than the other meal subscription services I’ve reviewed but worth it, in my opinion.
- The four-person Family Plan has 8 meals included in each box and runs about $12 to $13 per meal. As I understand, there is a slightly smaller meal selection for the family plans.
- You are free to skip deliveries whenever the need arises and can even set your deliveries for bi-weekly or monthly instead of weekly. You can also easily cancel your service with a click of a button.
- The cut-off for making changes to your delivery is 7 days before the delivery date and you can subscribe to reminder emails if you choose.
- Preparation is super fast with Green Chef meals because pretty much all the prep is done for you. All my sauces, marinades and spice blends came premade and some of the veggies were already chopped. I also really loved that there was less waste since only the amount of ingredients that were needed were included in the box.
- All of the ingredients are packaged individually with color-coded stickers that specify the items for each meal.
- Green Chef’s recipe cards include nutritional information, allergens, and step by step instructions with photos to help you cook your meal.
The Taste Test
Lemon-Pepper Tuna with Broccoli & Pine Nuts and Butternut Mash
If I had to choose a favorite in this meal box, this lemon pepper tuna would be mine. Both sauces that were included, coconut tomato and parsley pepita pesto, were so delicious I wanted to eat them with a spoon (I didn’t though haha) and gave just the right flavor to the squash and tuna.
I’ve never cooked tuna at home before and it was definitely the star of this dish. The pesto sauce complimented it with a nice tang and the smoothness of the butter squash was the perfect side. I also loved that the broccoli was a little spiced up with the addition of the pine nuts.
Overall, this was an absolutely scrumptious dish that I’d definitely make again.
Sage-Roasted Pork Chops with bacon-studded Kale and Cremini Mushrooms
Full disclosure–I’m not usually a fan of pork chops and I probably would have switched out this recipe with another if there had been another keto meal available. However, despite my misgivings, I really enjoyed this meal.
The pork chops were dusted with a sweet ginger-cinnamon blend that really deepened their natural flavor and I loved the mushrooms and kale blend served on the side. Again, I really appreciated that the recipe didn’t just call for just roasted kale but combined bacon and other veggies to make the side a little more flavorful and filling.
The sides were a hands-down hit with me but I’d probably substitute the pork chops if I made this dish again just out of personal preference.
Cuban Chicken Wraps with Red bell pepper, Chimichurri & Cauliflower Rice
After my ill-fated lettuce wrap experience with Sun Basket, I really wasn’t looking forward to this dish. But I was very pleasantly surprised. Whereas my Sun Basket dish was overwhelmingly greasy, these Cuban Chicken Wraps had the perfect blend of tender veggies and crispy chicken.
This was my first time trying cauliflower rice and it was so delicious I’m definitely going to be adding it as a regular menu staple. And again, the sauces that were included in this meal really knocked the flavor profile into high gear.
I would definitely make this dish again and I’m going to be adding the cauliflower rice to my menu rotation.
Overall Impression of Green Chef
Even though the price point is a little above what I would normally choose for a meal delivery box, I will absolutely order from Green Chef again. For me, having so many diet preferences to choose from and especially the ability to go keto, paleo, and completely gluten-free is well-worth the slightly higher price. All of the recipes I received in my box were delicious (even the ones I didn’t think would be) and I especially loved the flavor of the sauces they included.
If you’re interested in healthy meals that fit perfectly into your lifestyle and are restaurant-quality dishes, I highly recommend giving Green Chef a try!
And to show my appreciation to all of you and to give you a chance to try Green Chef for yourself, I’m giving TWO lucky winners the chance to get a FREE box on me! Head over to my Instagram channel to enter the giveaway!