Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day, lovelies! After six years of being a military wife, I’m so glad to call this community mine and I thought, in honor of the day, I’d share a few surefire ways you know that you’re a military spouse.
You Know You’re a Military Spouse When:
1. You’ve said the words chow, roger, or some other form of military jargon at least once in everyday conversation.
2. Ten seconds after saying the above, you start wondering if your spouse might be rubbing off on you a little too much. (you might also think this if a Star Wars gif is the first one that comes to your mind at a given situation)
3. You cringe when you hear the term ‘mandatory fun’.
4. You know that the word hooah (or your service member’s branch equivalent) can be a noun, adjective, or verb. Pretty much anything can be hooah.
5. You can use the phrase “Sorry the husband will be in the field on those days’ as a valid excuse to get out of things.
6. You have some pretty eclectic decor aka souvenirs from every place you’ve been stationed.
7. Sometimes you only understand one word of what your spouse says when he talks about his work.
8. You know your spouse’s coworkers by their last names.
9. You know at least one spouse who seems to always have a worse deployment story than everyone else.
Oh, you were pregnant when he deployed? My husband missed the birth, my house flooded, and I pcs’ed by myself with a 2-month-old and 3 dogs.
10. You’ve driven to the commissary to grocery shop only to remember in the parking lot that it’s closed on Mondays.
11. Sometimes your living room looks like a military supply room threw up in it–ACU’s and gear everywhere.
12. Your closest friends live on a completely different side of the country.
13. The first thing you check your purse for when you leave home is your phone and the second is your ID card.
14. You get annoyed when people call all service members soldiers.
15. You know your service member’s social security number by heart but have to think in order to remember your own.
16. You never write dates or addresses in pen–pencils are your friend.
17. You never know where you’ll be living or what you’ll be doing three years from now because #PCS.
18. One of these things has happened to you:
- You’ve given the gate guard your credit/debit card instead of your ID
- You’ve forgotten which zip code you’re currently in.
- You’ve forgotten to tip the commissary bagger.
- You still have boxes in your closet/garage that haven’t been opened since two PCS’s ago. Bonus points if they still have PCS stickers on them.
- You have a driver’s license from one state, car registration and license plates from another, and a home of record in a completely different state altogether.
19. You know there is absolutely nothing more essential to military life than a sense of humor.
20. You know that military life can be the hardest experience of your life but also the best.
What would you add to this list? Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day, MilSo’s!!